SAN DAMIANO COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER “SAN DAMIANO CLINIC”
TIBERIADE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION INC. (TCFI)
Roman Catholic N.G.O.
SAPANG, BINANGONAN, RIZAL, TALIM ISLAND 1940
2000: Foundation and development of medical program
When the N.G.O. started, medical treatment in Sapang ( and in all Talim island ), was not accessible. The closest hospital is located in mainland and to reach the place you have to go by boat and it takes at least one hour. It was very difficult and painful for young people of San Damiano to see a lot of sick people who had no possibility to receive any medical service. They read in the Gospel that Jesus healed the people, but in the same time there were a number of individuals who needed a help. For this reason some persons of San Damiano prayer group started to attend a medical course in Manila because they wanted to become health workers and to give a first medical help for people in Sapang. By donations of friends little by little they started to develop a small clinic and to provide traditional herbal medicine – herbal tea, syups for fever and cough, ointments to treat the wounds and to resolve some skin deceases. It was an alternative way of treatment for people who were economically depressed. Sisters of the Visitation helped them by donating some medicaments to sell. Moreover, some doctors started to visit Sapang once a week and people could have regular consultations on the place.
This project started to develop very quickly when a couple of Belgian doctors – Bruno and Delphie Verstraete – arrived on October 2003 for two years voluntary service. In October 2006 they were replaced by other missionary family, beyond by others missionaries.
The aim of this clinic is in such a way to ensure the medical help and to sustain the needs of poor people, to sell medicine at affordable prices.
The seven pillars of “San Damiano” clinic:
1. MEDICAL CONSULTATIONS
- The clinic is opened daily from 8:30 am till 6 pm. In case of emergency it is possible to come to clinic any time a day or request a home visit.
- regular consultations in clinic
- here is possibility to make a FBS, urine or pregnancy test, to check blood pressure, to make ECG.
- An important role in patient education
2. A LITTLE PHARMACY
- A possibility to buy the most necessary medicines requested by the World Health Organization in affordable prices.
- Education of antibiotic´s consumption
3. FEEDING PROGRAM and PREVENTION PROGRAMS
- Since 2008 the N.G.O started a Feeding Program: three mornings a week, mothers are invited to the clinic for a dietary cooking class followed by a free meal with the child in care. We follow twenty malnourished children aged 2-5 years. Every two months they have a medical check-up.
- There is also a great importance for different prevention programs.
4. DENTAL CONSULTATION
- Regular dental consultation and treatment.
- Prevention program / Project ” Smile school”.
5. “SOLIDARITY FUND”
- Medical help for poor patients ( financial support ): possibility in urgent need to send for hospitalization in different clinics in Manila and to help pay medical expenses for treatment and laboratory tests.
- A regular supply of edical equiptment: first aid kit bag, defibrillator, Ambu bag, the medicine etcetera.
6. MEDICAL MISSIONS
- Operation “smile
- Help to provide free surgeries to repair cleft lip and cleft palate.
- Medical missions in the different villages
- Twice a month we organize medical missions in the different villages in Talim island and Laiban
7. CLINIC STAFF FORMATION
- Regularly ( once a week) clinic staff has a different teachings / skills improvement trainings.